Friday, April 20, 2007

Sorrento, Italy and the Isle of Capri April 13th

I was able to put the copy up earlier today, so I did. The computer would not let me post pictures until now. Everyone else on the ship is at dinner I guess, so I can post. This is not my favorite format, but the pictures are first and then the story. Sorry. I'll try better for Florence. I know Charles has more photos of Capri, as they are not on this UBS stick. I'll try to find them and make a seperate posting as they are spectacular!


















The Italian classes we took on the ship came in handy here! We had fun trying to communicate in Italian with these wonderful people. We arrived early and hopped onto a tender to take us over to Sorrento. This was a brief stop, as we planned to spend the day on the Isle of Capri! This involved trying to speak in Italian to the gal selling ferry tickets and making sure we were going to have time to catch the last ferry back before our ship sailed. My palms got a little sweaty, but we managed to get it done. About Sorrento, it is perched on the famed Amalfi Coast. Steep, terraced hills covered in flowers and of course their famous lemons. Boy oh boy, do they have lemons! I have never seen anything like them. These lemons are the size of grapefruits or larger. Some say that the people of Sorrento take better care of their lemons than they do of their own children! You see when they have weather in the winter months that threatens their lemon harvest, all of their trees have to be covered in netting and watched like hawks to ensure no freeze damage. They are very proud of their lemons here. They have those enormous lemons and they have many lemon flavored things, lemons on linens, lemons on pottery, lemons on aprons, lemons on jewelry...they have lemons!! It was something to see. I hope you can see in the photos the size of them.
Capri. Capri has a street that, you guessed it, you get there by nothing else than a cable car!! The street is much like Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. I made Nicholas stop outside many of the shops and snapped photos so you could see the stores. THe Capri Watch comes from the Isle of Capri. Kathleen was lucky enough to get one. Her picture is outside the shop. Capri would have been more fun if everyone else in Europe wasn't there the same day we were. I guess the beginning of Spring brings people out of the woodwork to see this beautiful place. It is beautiful and they do have fabulous and expensive shopping, but fighting the crowds was a turn off. If you go there, go when it is less crowded and I am sure it will be an enchanting experience. Some of the rock formations along the coastline were surreal. It's beauty was not blemish by the crowds but it sure would have been easier to see it without all those people there!! Here we go...you will love this place. It is one of the most beautiful stops we have made. I would like to come back in LOW season.

No comments: