Friday, January 23, 2009

Friday Jan. 23rd 2009 Sailing the Drake!!!

When we went to bed last night the ship had already started to toss about. We had to secure everything in our rooms for our 2 day passage of the Drake. As we were getting things squared away, we noticed that the snow storm outside had started to create a winter wonderland on the deck outside our window. Nicky and I put on parkas over our pajamas and pushed open the exterior door at the end of our hall. That view into the night was awesome for sure in a scary way. The swells in the ocean were proabably 20 feet and the rush of sideways snow was like something in a movie. We were able to snap a couple of shots before the wind and cold was unbearable and we called it a night. Kathleen is green a bit as is Charles. Nicky and I will be going to lectures today sans them. We are hoping the sea will settle down. The trip back was not supposed to be this rough! We have all of our photos resized to upload but we still are not having much luck.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I just found your blog. Antarctica looks great. We will be joining the Mariner for segment 2 of the ROF (can't wait to see penguins)and then for the Osaka to Seward segment. Don always enjoyes having Nicky for a partner. I think I'll forget to tell him about the Drake Passage. Have a great trip and see you on the 13th.

Unknown said...

Ok...Are my eyes deceiving me? Am I seeing you in Antarctica in SWIMSUITS???? Were you freezing??

Looks like you're having a great time. Can't wait to see the pics when you're able to upload them.